Friday 28 September 2012

The Beady Eye

To-day as its been slowing down in the club calendar I thought you would like this article sent to me a few weeks ago by Terry Burnett.
As readers of previous articles of Terry's will know he is always looking to do something different!.
.....................................................................
I have updated my piece on the Jet Boat as I commissioned it today, I have named it 'The Beady Eye' after Liam Gallagher's new rock group (split from Oasis)' I am sure most of our members will be familiar with Oasis! One photo (better quality) attached and ammended verbage (or garbage!) If it is of any use I suggest we just use the one photo.
Best Regards as always.
Terry.
......................................................

Tear Into Jet Boat..............

Google the above and you will find U Tube video's of youngsters in the USA modifying these Jet Boats,producing amazing results,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ShzX19RU2I
 I thought I would have a go.
In essence it is the hull which is key as it is designed for the Graupner Jet Drive, originally the hull was marketed by Graupner as a kit 'Jetsprint' but try as I might I could not get one. I then copied our USA cousins.
 A company in China (NQD) is producing the same Graupner boat  but as a toy ready to go (the original Graupner hull I suspect came from China anyway). I bought one of these toys on e bay (£38.00) As it's sealed unit I cut an access hatch in the deck and gutted the whole thing, I disposed of the jet drive (which is a copy of the Graupner) all electronics and controller.
I then modified a Graupner Jet Drive by machining the inlet and making phosphor bronze bearings. I then had to source the special glue used to seal the drive( USA) then made a motor flange adaptor and fitted a Black Mantis 3600kv brushless motor, a water cooled Seaking speed controller and fitted the diffuser with a water pick up. Impeller speed is 25,000 RPM. Steering is by vectored thrust (Hi Tec 81 servo). Battery is a 2C 7.4
Lipo. I then resprayed the hull in mettalic, fitted a hatch and replaced the anti roll bar with stainless steel. Commissioned the boat at Etherow today and it goes like a bat out of hell, but don't worry with the mods the jet drive is very efficient and will run at very low speed.
Terry B.
The Beady Eye
Couldn't resist adding another picture of this beautiful little racer Terry!.
Thanks for the contribution to the web again, another superb model.
.....................................................................
As a Ps to this post I thought it was very apt that Colin who lost his Straight Runner at the Commodores Challenge Completion, finally found and recovered his boat yesterday after nearly 4 weeks under water, the motor still works but we will have to see if the electrics will work after drying out.
 Another Beady Eye hey.
...........................................................
Well this wet month is nearly over, but the next club event to look forward to
 The club Auction 
10th October 2012.
So sort out your unwanted boats and items for that!
That's all folk's
....................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...